* UPDATE: Winners will be announced May 10th, not May 7th. Sorry!
The HGee Writing Contest is here again for 2018!
This year's theme? MODESTY. You might be saying, "Huh? Modesty? You mean in dressing properly?" NOPE! Not *just* in one's outward appearance, but modesty in your thoughts, behaviours, intentions, interactions with others, situations and how you deal with them, your self-perception, your worldview, political stances, etc...
How do you see modesty being used in the world? Got an idea? Now go write a story about it!! (Challenge: Can you write a story about modesty without using the word "modest" or "modesty"?)
mod·es·ty ˈmädəstē/ noun noun: modesty
the quality or state of being unassuming or moderate in the estimation of one's abilities.
"with typical modesty he insisted on sharing the credit with others" synonyms:self-effacement, humility, unpretentiousness;
the quality of being relatively moderate, limited, or small in amount, rate, or level."the modesty of his political aspirations"
synonyms:limited scope, moderation "the modesty of his aspirations"
behavior, manner, or appearance intended to avoid impropriety or indecency.
plural noun: modesties "modesty forbade her to undress in front of so many people" synonyms:unpretentiousness, simplicity, plainness "the modesty of his home"
Rules and Regulations
1) The work must be original fiction (ie. a story you have made up on your own, not borrowed from an already established tale), and strictly under 1000 words. Stories which are too similar in either plot or characters to other known stories (like cartoon characters, comic book heroes, Disney characters or movies) will be disqualified.
2) The age categories are 8-11, 12-15
3) The deadline to submit your story is April 23rd. Winners will be announced by May 7th, and published by May 15th, 2018. Prizes are as follows for each of the two age categories: $50 first prize, $40 second prize, $25 third prize. Cash prizes will be mailed out or etransferred by the end of May 2018. If you are a winner outside of North America, you will receive an online Amazon giftcard.
4) The entries will be judged based on four criteria:
A) Writing Style, Spelling and Grammar: Is the sentence structure well-composed, does the writing flow well, are there any grammar and spelling mistakes?? (A few mistakes are fine, don't worry - write first, edit later!) B) Plot Development: Does the story have a plot that makes sense, does the plot have a beginning, middle and end, and is developed and interesting? Is the story written descriptively and in a way that gives us a mental picture?
C) Character Development: Are the characters of your story interesting and well-developed? Are there too many or too few characters to make the story engaging? What is special or unique about your characters compared to regular ones? D) Moral/Inspirational Value: How closely does your story reflect this year's theme? Does your story make a person think about it long after they've read it? Does your story inspire the reader to be a better person or learn a valuable lesson? Did reading your story bring the reader some insight about their lives or the world around them?
**** Your personal information above will not be used, sold or released to any third parties outside of this contest. You must have your parent's/guardian's permission to participate in this competition. ****